Thursday, January 26, 2012

20 Weeks: Halfway There!

This week marked the halfway point in our pregnancy (I'm still three weeks behind and trying to play catch-up!) Our little girl is about 6.5 inches long and weighs approximately 10.5 ounces; from this week forward she will be measured from head to toe, rather than crown to rump. I love this picture from Alpha Mom's Pregnancy Calendar! 
week by week pregnancy
She is swallowing more = practice for her digestive system and is also making meconium, the by-product of digestion which accumulates in her bowels and will be passed in her first diaper. Trayton passed some before delivery and I was very relieved when his APGAR score was high in the respiratory department and that he had no infection due to aspiration. I'm hoping she doesn't pass any until after birth.

20 Weeks: Mom: My uterus is about level with my belly button (and I do look rather pudgy in that region if I do say so.) I had an older gentleman staring at me one day while at the hospital paying a bill before asking me when I was due; I'm sure he was wondering "Is she pregnant or just pudgy?" I definitely think I have a smaller belly with this pregnancy than I had with Trayton. Trayton seemed to widen me out whereas this pregnancy seems to be staying pretty compact and straight out in front of me. My skin has been very dry lately despite lotioning efforts and the peripheral vein on the inside of my knee looks like a wonderful blue rope thanks to the relaxing effects of progesterone (say hello to the sexy compression stockings!) 
Week 20 family picture!

Weight: 211lbs (same as last week - really? I couldn't believe it since Christmas dinners were happening!)
Other symptoms: heartburn, always looming during my pregnancies and I don't foresee it getting better as this baby compresses my organs upward.
To Do: get ready for vacation and start looking for a childbirth class that we can take Trayton to so we can learn new ways to teach him about the upcoming arrival of his sister!

  
Wishing you a pot o' gold, and all the joy your heart can hold. Thanks for reading!